Monday, November 9, 2009

Online Privacy and Security

Yes the content in this module has had great relevance to my household of internet surfers.
The year 7 and 8's at my daughter's school have just done a module on internet security and the school put on a seminar by NetSafe. I now know my daughter is using McAfee security software - thought we all had Norton. Have also noticed that she ignores the security updates if she doesn't want her current windows to close so we have had some wisdom from me about that.
What can I tell our patrons. I'll be more emphatic about password security. We have a number of patrons who would benefit from a KeePass account. Would recommend the Netsafe video on cyberbullying to parents and kids alike. We should promote this sort of info in the Homework Learning Centres. I do think we have an important role to play in educating our users to keep themselves cybersafe.

No comments: